Monday, October 29, 2012

Hey!

Hey everyone!

This week has been pretty good! We have found a lot of new investigators which has been really great since we have lessons. So are you ready for the big storm that's coming in? From the sounds of Dad's email it's coming in right now. Good luck! I'm praying for you all a lot and I really miss you. This week went by a lot faster than last week because I had more going on. In one of the training's an AP gave he said that if you're feeling down you should invite people to be baptized! I guess that means that if we're down we need to really focus on what matters and work hard. I'm thinking a lot about Rach's friend passing away in a car accident. I'm really sorry that life is full of sorrow and sometimes heartache. I know that whatever we go through in life, if we do the things that God has commanded us to do, we will have joy in the end. When we go through tough times in life we need to stick together. I love you all so much. How's Sandy doing? I bet she's barking a lot at the storm! How's six year old Chloe! I miss my siblings a whole lot. Noah I miss playing games with you and talking about life with you. I hope that I can still give you advice from here. I wish I had longer to write than I do. 

Dad asked if people talk about Mitt Romney: SOO many people talk about Mitt Romney! Oh and I got my absentee ballot by the way! It feels like I'm voting for a high school class president again haha except the names on the ballot are Obama and Romney. Anyways, when we knock on people's doors a lot of them just say, "oh don't worry I'm already voting for your guy Mitt!" I think it's really funny and kind of scary that people may think that I'm walking around trying to get people to vote for Mitt haha. We have to tell at least one person a day that we don't have a stand on politics. A lot of people I've talked to have actually really been excited to vote for Mitt. I think that's pretty interesting since I'm in a pretty liberal state. I'm excited to see what happens.

A man that Elder Sudbury and I found got baptized yesterday in the Spanish ward woo! It stinks that I couldn't teach him and baptize him but it really is amazing to see make such great decisions in life!

I'm still on bike and I actually really like it. Has it gotten a lot colder yet? It's been "cold" in the morning and the evening but right now it's really warm. I wonder if it's going to slow down time because I think it's summer all of the time. I really like my apartment that I'm staying in. I'm almost certain that I'll be in the same area for my third transfer. Elder Sudbury is going home on the 13th and President probably won't make two other elders go into an area that we're in. So ill get a new companion on the 13th! Speaking of the 13th! The 12th is close to that and that's Noah's birthday! Noah what do you want for your birthday!? I can get you a Long beach shirt! Let me know in an email next week so I can get it and send it. Rach's is on the 25th of november! So get something for her! Haha shout out.

The picture is kind of stupid but It's of me and Elder Sudbury is in the back! To get a good idea of the people we find and teach look up "Carry me home" by Gloworm on youtube. Talked to that guy last week. It's a 90's hit song apparently. Another interesting characteristic of the area I'm in is the constant smell of weed. It's really interesting because I guess it's kind of legal here. There are stores but sometimes the cops are there and it just seems strange.

I still have time to write so I'll keep writing but here is most of my letter

Love you all,

Elder Silas Gallagher... I still haven't figured out how to sign my family emails.

(he had more time to write):

How is Eden doing? Does she like her play? How is the Ward? Thanks for the great emails about life. I know sometimes it seems like we're all really busy. What's most important is our personal relationship with God. He really can help us with anything that we need in life and I've found that out in my life. Everyone needs to go through their own conversion and spiritual experiences. Don't feel bad if you're not sure if something isn't true. Just go out and find out for yourself and ask God. My prayers have become a lot more meaningful since my mission. I was never very great at creating habits that had to do with praying or reading my scriptures but now those might be the two most uplifting things I do. I don't really know whether it's because I'm a missionary or what but studying and learning has gotten so much more great. I'm really excited to keep that a part of my life.

This is what my letter to president Bubert looks like:

"This week we have found a lot of investigators. The favorite times of my mission are always in the middle of very powerful lessons. I can't deny the presence of the Spirit touching the hearts of the investigators we teach. I am just looking for a way that may influence people to keep their commitments. We have powerful lessons and the investigators commit to doing something but then I feel like their lives get in the way. I may try and emphasize the power of commitment with them. I am excited to experience the process of a person's full conversion to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. "

That seems to be the theme of my mission so far in this area. I'm looking for ways to get people to do things that will help them haha. Thank you all so much for your support. It feels like I really can't do it without all of your thoughts, emails, letters and prayers. I feel like I always sound beat up or depressed but I really am having such a great time. I'm being safe and I'm working hard!

Love you!




No comments:

Post a Comment