Monday, July 29, 2013

Cerritos!

Hi!

My week went by very fast. I'm trying to remember what  I did so I can at least tell you something fun or interesting. Where Elder Welch and I live is pretty cool. There are a few pretty interesting people that we regular interact with now. One of them is an old Filipino lady who is sometimes on the sidewalk just outside of our apartment complex. She always wears a pink beanie and asks people passing for the time. The first time we contacted her on the street she just asked us what time it was so we told her. She kept asking even though we told her so we asked if we could do anything for her. It's kind of hard to understand her because she doesn't really have any teeth and I'm not sure how much English she speaks but it sounded like she asked us to take blood. Haha so we told her we had to go. I like talking to "time" because she's nice and she brightens up my day.

There are a lot of really great people here. It has been so interesting for me to meet so many people from so many different backgrounds and beliefs. Something I have really learned on my mission so far is that no matter the circumstance, following Jesus Christ will change your life for the better. It is simple. As we follow Him we will receive blessings both spiritual and physical. I feel blessed to be in a position where I can be an instrument in God's hands as I invite people to follow Christ just like He would if He were there. Where I can show people how living the Gospel could really bless them and their family. I also like having a message that I don't have to prove. I don't go into someone's home and make them believe what I believe because of a scripture or how flattering the words I say are...I go talk to people about what God has done and what we believe God has done recently and give them evidence of that and invite them to find out for themselves.

I'm going to attach pictures this week of Elder Welch and I drinking a sketchy basil seed drink that he bought at "H Mart" an Asian market very close to our apartment. It was pretty gross. We also picked this giant lemon that wasn't ripe but was actually the size of a football. We cut that in half and there was not fruit in there so that was a bummer. So besides working very hard we are having fun too!

There are a lot of Polynesians in our ward and they love to feed us as much as possible. We visited the Tupu family and they got us a big bowl of three scoops of ice cream and three cookies. We talked to them and after we were done we were given three more cookies and scoops as big as the first helping. I can't believe I could still bike after that ha. They are really great people. Very giving and very loving. There have been many people here who want to give us dinner whenever we don't have someone to feed us.

I've liked being a zone leader so far. We get to answer any questions the missionaries have about the work and we get to help them. I like helping people a lot so why not help the missionaries who are trying to help people too? This morning we got a call from some elders that had their car towed last night. He was pretty mad at himself for parking in a tow zone so we got to cheer him up and spend some time with them as we drove to where there car was this morning. There are a lot of fairly new missionaries in my zone and I think they are really great.

Can you believe I've been gone for a year on Thursday? Me neither. I also can't believe we're moving and I hope you travel safe! Well I love you all and I hope you have a great week.

Love

Silas

No comments:

Post a Comment