Monday, June 9, 2014

Transers!

Hi Everyone!

This past week has been a great week! Do I say that every week? That doesn't mean I'm never discouraged or stressed or really tired but it does mean that what really matters was really great! For some reason this week I've been so so tired at 6:30 but luckily the 20 minute run really helps me wake up. It feels like I've woken up at 6:30 everyday for two years....oh wait. 

This week is going to be very busy for me. We are still working on transfers and we need to have everything done on Thursday. Every six weeks there is a transfer. President Tew, Elder Sturgell and I pray and figure out who needs to go to another area, with what companion and it takes quite a bit of time to figure out. Elder Sturgell goes home a little early (July 1st) for West Point so he will be released and I am getting a new companion! My last companion! His name is Elder Taylor but he has no idea that he's coming to the office yet. He'll find out on thursday. In my setting apart it said to love my companions, for I shall have many. That has come true. I think he'll be my 17th companion which is more than usual. 

Right now I am teaching two really great people! Brad and Joey. They were actually friends in high school and we didn't know that until we introduced them to each other. Brad is the brother of a return missionary in the ward. He said he was pagan but was interested in the Book of Mormon so we read Alma 32 with him. He loved the comparison of the word and a seed. The next time we came back he had read the first few chapters and now wants to be baptized. He's a really cool guy I like him a lot.

Joey is doing really well. He is getting baptized on the 22nd of this month. He is excited! Possibly more excited than anyone I've ever taught. He has changed the most of of anyone I've taught to. He had to quit his job, quit smoking and drinking coffee and tea. It's been great to see the Gospel really change his life and help bring some peace. His father died when he was twelve and he was told that because his dad wasn't baptized he wasn't in a great place to put it nicely.

There is a speech that was given at BYU by one of the church leaders that has really helped me to work hard and understand when I am feeling down. http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=869

President Tew taught the new missionaries this month about being others oriented. Being selfless and forgetting about yourself. He shared that Jesus taught the plan of happiness in 12 words. John 13:17 If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them. It's only when I've applied what I've learned in my life that I have felt good. This life is hard and I see too many missionaries and people who struggle because of mental illness or depression. I know that no matter anyone's situation they will be blessed as they follow the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Love

Elder Gallagher


No comments:

Post a Comment