Monday, May 26, 2014

Better letter than last week

Hello!

I've been having a lot of spiritual experiences and I better share some with you. I should also find some time to write them in my journal. I've been pretty good about writing in a journal until I was transferred here. The other morning I decided to text all of the missionaries that are in our area asking if they had talked to any YSA aged people lately. Usually it's a lot of "no sorry" but this time I had a few text back with information on some people. So Elder Sturgell and I went by this guy named Joey. A week earlier the Spanish speaking elders knocked on his door looking for someone else but he invited them in to ask them some questions. He saw the musical and wanted to hear what they had to say about it. They gave him a Book of Mormon. So a week later we stop by and he sits us down and one of the first things he says is, " I can't explain this book." He said he had read the first two books and immediately I was pretty sure he meant chapters so we clarified. He's about to start Jacob. He just applied to be a Jesuit priest in the Catholic church and was denied. He's easily one of the most knowledgeable and open minded 23 year old I've ever met. 

We taught one of the best lessons I've taught on my mission. We were so excited after leaving his house that we went the wrong way to our car. We decided to keep going and just circle around. On the way we talked to a man who's niece was in the hospital. She's 16 and was playing in a construction area and fell off a three story building. Crushed her leg and her face. We prayed with him for her. He said it was funny that we came to talk to him because he just came out for a minute and really needed that. We told him we went the wrong way but that we knew why! Joey came to church yesterday and told us that normally at church he stares at his watch but that he didn't even think about how long he'd been there. He met the Bishop, plans to come back and knew two people from church that he went to high school with. Miracle! 

Leia, who was baptized a couple weeks ago is doing really well! She's going to take pictures at all the ward activities. That's her calling or responsibility in the church. I thought I 'd update you on that.

President is doing really well. He's recovered much faster after being home. He's already having interviews with missionaries again. We met with him last night to talk about the upcoming meetings and topics. Elder Sturgell and I will be training on obedience. Forced obedience does not bring lasting fruit. You have to do something because you want to do it. Especially when it comes to serving a mission. Missionaries who come here because someone else wanted them to come will eventually go home or find their motivations out here.

I went on three more exchanges with zone leaders this week. They all went really well. Elder Sturgell and I have been able to find a new person to teach on every exchange we've been on so far. I think we've been on a total of 16 so 32 new people to teach. It has been pretty incredible to see God work according to my faith. Most of the people we find on exchanges is not because I did anything special, God just put us where we needed to be. It happens because I pray really hard and I work for it. I'm hoping I can apply that to life when I get home too.

https://www.lds.org/church/leader/m-russell-ballard Elder Ballard, an apostle of Jesus Christ, is coming to the mission on Saturday. I'm really excited for that! I think it's pretty cool that God works with men. He takes ordinary men and does great things with them.

Well I promised pictures but my camera hid in the trunk all week. Hopefully this week will be different! Love you!

Elder Gallagher

No comments:

Post a Comment