Monday, April 8, 2013

April 8th

Hey Everyone,
 
I had a pretty good week this week. I always feel like talking about the weather because it seriously won't change. I still feel like it's August and I just got here which is good I guess! This week we did service for two members in the ward. I'm getting pretty good at doing yardwork. I like helping people a lot and it seems to almost become selfish when you're asking people if you can help them ha.
 
Michael, the 12 year old boy we've been teaching since Jan is going to get baptized on Sunday! We've had a lot of other times where we have planned on him getting baptized but this time I'm almost sure it will happen. He's really a great kid who I've gotten to know pretty well. Michael plays football and baseball and he is a beast. He's half black half samoan so he already has a six pack. He hits at least one homerun a game and he's a friendly guy. He's also pretty shy so it's been hard helping him want to meet the other boys at church but I think that will come with time. A few weeks ago he told me that I'm like a brother now which really means a lot. I think about where I would be and the people that I wouldn't have met if I hadn't made the choice to come here. It's a scary thought now because I know I wouldn't be where I am now.
 
The reason for that is sometimes hard to explain. Before my mission I knew that going on a mission was "good" but I don't think I understood exactly why. It's obviously good for other people because I'm helping people change their lives, live good morals and come closer to God. But personally I feel like I've already become a much better person. I understand a lot more about life and people. I'm not afraid to talk to anyone about anything. I actually read the scriptures everyday and for some reason I can't get enough now. I've learned a lot more about Christ. The most effect that being on a mission has had on me is probably my desire to be more like Him. It's too easy to get caught up in stupid things that make someone lose their focus on the goal of becoming a better person. When it comes down to it, everything you should do should make you better. And we have that great gift of choice which sometimes really stinks. It seems a lot better to do nothing or to do the wrong thing than do the right thing. But if we do the small things like pray and be charitable to the people around us it gets a little easier every time. Going on a misson has also helped me understand how much I need to improve. That's part of life though.
 
That's my rant for this week. General Conference was really good! I liked President Monson's talk about setting the field on fire with his friend. He makes the best faces. I hope everyone's week went well. Haha I hope you like the pictures of me on my new bike. It's a little hard to ride.
 
Love
 
Silas
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment