Monday, April 7, 2014

Made it through my first week!

This week flew by. Some highlights were meeting with President Tew in between conference session on Saturday at his house and talking about the topics of upcoming trainings. Something I think is a good skill to have is to teach the message of the restoration in one minute. So Sister Tew asked me to do that to see if you really could teach the whole first lesson in 60 seconds. It's kind of scary being put on the spot but I always find how just in a minute the Spirit can come and testify of simple truths. I love President and Sister Tew! They are great. 

It has been a real blessing to be with Elder Sturgell and learn from him. He's a very humble and strong missionary. We set a vision for our companionship with the scripture, "Thus God has provided a means that man, through faith, might work mighty miracles; therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings." Mosiah 8:18. I want to bless the mission in every way that I can. I am constantly praying to know how to help reach our goal of 46 baptisms this month. I find it interesting that the scripture says that a man works might miracles which results in being a great benefit to man. I know that whatever the miracles that happen may be, it will be to help others. My investigators, the mission, everyone. 

I went on exchanges with Elder Fowler (Zone Leader) and Elder Liddell this week. They are missionaries assigned to speak Cambodian which is such an interesting language. The Cambodian population in Long Beach is bigger than anywhere else besides Cambodia itself. I got to learn a little Cambodian, eat some of their food and meet some very nice and funny people. We worked with members, found and taught together. I'm becoming more and more aware of how the Lord is in each area working on people. I know that a few missionaries walking or driving around can really be led to people who need us.

Just last night Elder Sturgell and I were out with a member from our ward and were walking around downtown LB headed to someone's house. On the way we talk with everyone, offering help, a message to bless their life etc. and we talked to this one guy who knew of some college aged kids that lived down the road a bit. He walked us there and then pointed to another place and said we might try over there. We were led to a lady named Angela who has had a rough life and has a 22 yr old daughter who needs help with her life right now. We're going back there tonight. Someone we never would have met if we weren't led there.

If you missed conference here it is! https://www.lds.org/general-conference/sessions/2014/04?cid=HPSU040614654&lang=eng . I thought it was great! It was also weird that that was the last conference I'll watch on my mission. Follow the counsel of Elder Ballard and study preach my gospel! Time is flying by! 

Love

Elder Gallagher


No comments:

Post a Comment