Monday, August 26, 2013

New Transfer

Happy Monday!

These past six weeks have been the fastest six weeks of my life! I can't believe it is already time for another transfer. I'm staying in the Cerritos first ward with Elder Welch. I'm excited to stay and to keep working hard. This past week a member from the ward had us go and visit with a woman named Shirley. She is a very sweet lady who let us into her home and since it was late, briefly went over what we talk about with people and told her we would come back the next day. She was actually homeless a few months ago and has had a pretty rough life. She lives in Hawaiian Gardens which is a pretty rough place. We were looking for someone else and the address was where all these gangsters were laying around pretty much doing nothing. Walking into their hangout would be dangerous for pretty much anyone besides missionaries so I'm glad I've had experiences like that. We walked in and asked them where this person was and they told us after asking us if we want a beer. They do that a lot. I always say yes and get a funny reaction and then tell them that I would probably just poor it on the grass though. I love that even the roughest of people are likeable when you talk to them after a few minutes. I firmly believe that if you don't like someone you just don't know them enough.

Our ward had a "picnic in the park" activity this weekend and it went pretty well! It was amazing how much food the man serving me piled onto my plate. I've still only gained a few pounds which is good. Shirley came and I think she had a good time talking to some people. Another woman from Brazil who we are teaching came too! She seriously looks like she is in her 20's and she's actually 45. I was shocked when I found out. She's a very sweet lady who wants to join the church but there's a lot going on in her life right now. She's applying to work, getting a divorrce, trying to move to Cerritos and raise her four year old daughter at once. I get stressed out when she talks about everything on her plate and I don't get mad when we can only meet about once a week.

Yesterday I gave a talk in church about following Christ. It was based of the talk "Followers of Christ" by Elder Dallin H Oaks. I just talked for about ten minutes about what it means to follow Christ and why we choose to follow Christ. I think the most fundamental characteristic of a Christian is love. He loved everyone completely and gave His life for us. He was all about service.

Well I love you and I have to go now! Hope you have a great week!

Silas!


No comments:

Post a Comment